This is my 20th year here at the school. I am looking forward to helping you and
your children during the school year.
This program has two major functions:
1. Coordinate the Student Support Team process.
The goal of this process is to determine and implement accommodations for a student who is struggling academically, behaviorally and or emotionally. The process can be initiated by a teacher or a parent. The first step in the process is to meet with the students teacher and discuss classroom concerns and agree to try some interventions If a solution to the problem cannot be reached after trying these ideas, then a Student Support Team is put together and meets. This team usually includes, teacher(s) parents, administration, SJA instructional staff,CAIU staff and any other person who can give input or be of assistance. The team meets and determines intervention/ accommodations until a solution has been reached. Usually a learning or action plan with goals is written. The Learning Plan box may or may not be checked on the report card, depending on the issues and accommodations.
2. Track and implement accommodations from the above process.
Provide information and assist teachers in following the Harrisburg Diocese Handbook for handling Student with Learning Disabilities.
Screen and track scores of the Dynamic Indicators of Basic Early Literature Skills from k-2nd grade and all new students in 3-8
Screen new students in 3-8 grade in reading and math ( writing will be added for next year)
Assist teachers with special projects if needed.
Offer testing support for students who qualify through the Student Support Team process.
Offer Strategic Intervention reading groups for grades 1 &2.
Offer students help as needed if requested by teacher.
Help students catch up on missed work after a prolonged absence.
Assist some students with ITBS testing if qualify.
Help with make up ITBS for students who missed these tests.
Brainstorm with teachers for appropriate interventions/ accommodations for step one of the SST process.
A Few Suggestions for All Parents to help your child be The Best Student They Can Be at SJA:
1. HELP your child come prepared and ready to learn each and everyday.
- make sure they had breakfast
- have taken any necessary medications
- dressed correctly for the days events and weather.
- all necessary papers (signed by parent), money, food etc is packed and ready to go.
- homework is packed in book bag.
2. Understand the best way to contact your child's teacher and alert parents to any changes, concerns as quickly as possible.
3. Stay tuned in to what is going on at SJA and with your child.
- have a school calendar posted so both of you can know what is going on at SJA
- check homework assignments on the SJA website
- look and help clean out bookbag every few days.
- encourage your child to become involved in after school activities
- consider having a friend over on the weekend from SJA.
- get yourself involved - meet new friends and better understanding of your child's day.
Enjoy your child everyday!!!! His/her childhood will fly by right before your eyes!!
Please know we try every day to make this your child's best day.